THE BASICS OF A CLEAN DIET
Eating “clean” is not hard. It’s actually very simple. It’s all about eating the right type and quantity of food. Once you’ve got the basics down, that’s when you’ll be ready to truly focus on eg. weight loss or muscle gains. You need to be making the right food choices before you even start any type of plan. You want to be making PERMANENT changes! Adjusting your “diet” so that you’re absolutely sure that you can stick to it for life rather than just a few weeks or months!
Below i’ve listed a few simple guidelines you can follow :)
What NOT to eat!
1. Cut out all regular sodas and processed fruit juice.
2. Get rid of processed carbohydrates. This means cutting out most breakfast cereals, white bread, potato chips, candy, and store bought pastries and cookies.
3. Cut out foods high in saturated fat and fried foods. Your body does not need the extra saturated fat.
What to eat?
1. Eat whole foods as often as possible
2. Eat some lean protein, fat, and unprocessed fibrous carbohydrate at every meal
3. Eat fruits or vegetables with each meal (as fresh as possible).
4. The bulk (size wise) of your food intake should come from vegetables and protein.
5. Ensure that 20-30% of your energy intake comes from “liquid fat,” with your fat intake primarily coming from unsaturated (ie. flax oil, fish oil, olive oil, raw nuts).
6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages. Yay for water!
7. Drink alcohol in moderation.
What about calories, amounts of fat, protein, carbohydrates, nutrient timing? For most people following these guidelines at least 90% of the time will be all they will ever need. If you are not near 90% then work your way there. Find friends that will do it with you.
IF YOU WANT IT, HAVE IT.“Never say never” to foods you love but that are not in your best interest to eat. There is nothing worse for a person’s health or diet than a built up urge to splurge. There are two main roads one can travel to curb binge eating. The first is to have a little bit everyday. For example my biggest sweet tooth is chocolate, so I always have a small amount of high quality chocolate around and allow myself one small piece a day. I find that works very well for me! Another is to allow yourself one meal a week where you can enjoy whatever you want. In fact even invite your other friends over that are attempting to eat better and do it together! This “ritual” will become something you look foward to and your friends will too, plus for the rest of the week everyone can hold each other on track. The trick is to find which one of these two works for you.
DON’T LET THE TOUGH TIMES GET YOU DOWN. Everyone’s healthy eating efforts get sidetracked from time to time. The trick is to keep a positive attitude and curb the unhealthy eating as quickly as possible. Sometimes it helps to have some motivational post it notes up or have some of your fav positive blogs ready to give you that extra boost.
That is it! Keep it simple, eat well, exercise hard, and live life to its fullest.
[Please do not delete or edit this text. Thank you!]
Cut the alcohol. Period.